Saturday, February 9, 2008

Tornado Pictures

You need to check this out. Before we left Jackson we took a bunch of pictures, and a couple videos, from the road near the tornado damage (I will post those when I get the time). It's so very hard for me to grasp how close this was and nobody was acting like anything was wrong. Everyone was acting like it was no big deal. When we arrive in Henderson we went straight to the basement. Everyone there thought we were crazy - I think everyone here is crazy! They all talk about us and earthquakes and how they are used to tornados like we are earthquakes. Well forgive me for pointing this out, but if we had a warning that the earthquake was coming we would be taking shelter immediately. These crazy people just went on like nothing was coming! This is crazy to be saying, but I need to get back to California so I can have some sanity back in my life.

Today I was thinking about what a great man Earl Edwards is. I was not able to hear him speak at the lectureship this year but I did take a Master's level course on 1 and 2 Thessalonians by him. I was so blown away by his genuine attention that he paid to everything you said, along with his obvious personal love for God. He is a great man.

Today we visited the Nashville Zoo and the Opryland Mills Mall. There were times when I was not sure which was which. We have to stop going into that Mall because I keep getting poorer and this crazy Tennesseans are getting richer. I still haven't spent a dime at Bass Pro Shop. That is sure to change before we leave.

Tomorrow we are going to worship with the Highland church of Christ in Columbia. They became our semi-home when we were looking for work in Tennessee. Such great people. Too bad things did not work out and we did not end up working with them. Their preacher had said he was leaving but had not left yet when we were here. I preached for him once when he was out of town. There were absolutely no guarantees they would have hired me (probably not), but it's neither here nor there as we had to move back to California before the preacher left. We are looking forward to worshiping with them, and getting caught up. Our time with the Jett's has been fabulous. They are like another set of grandparents to the boys. Reagan and Caleb have done very well on this trip with all things considered. It is going to be nice to be back in a normal routine at home though!

We have been gone a little over a week now and I'm really missing my brethren back home in Ripon. I love them, and the work there, so much it's hard to vacation. I needed the break though. When I return home I'm making a commitment to reenergize and concentrate more on my study, preaching, and evangelism. It's easy to get into "routine" and not stay on the edge and giving it your all. On top of that I need to CLEP 32 hours before June so I can be done with my B.A. from Regions University. Oh man, I have lots of Master's work to do for Bear Valley too. I'm getting depressed just thinking about going home now! Now I want to go home and I don't!

One final thing... I have not been staying in shape while I have been gone. Not once have a I ran. And I'm missing Jiu Jitsu a lot! When I get home I'm going to get whooped up on bad because my cardio won't be there and it always takes a few times to get back to where sweeping from the guard is instinct and not going through a move by move check list as if I'm putting together a plastic model.

Sow the Seed Faithfully,
Caleb

p.s. For those of you who know I was a big Fred Thompson supperter, I formally renounce my prior support for him now that he has endorsed McCain.
p.p.s. R.I.P. The Republican Party

No comments: